Pacific Partner Pages:
FSM National Comprehensive Cancer Control Coalition
Cancer is the fourth leading cause of death in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM). More than 10% of deaths in the FSM are attributable to cancer and over 90% of all cancer cases are diagnosed in late stages of progression. Approximately 500 deaths are attributed to cancer annually in the Federated States of Micronesia. The most frequent cancer types are lung, cervical/uterine, liver, breast, prostate, oropharyngeal (oral), brain, and hematopoietic cancer/leukemia. The FSM National Cancer Coalition has identified preventable cancers from tobacco usage as a top priority.
Cancer creates a physical, psychological, social, and economic burden on individuals, families, and communities. This burden can be dramatically reduced as progress is made in cancer prevention, early detection, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship, and palliative care in the Federated States of Micronesia. The FSM National Government has partnered with the University of Hawaii and other U.S. Affiliated Pacific Island Nation jurisdictions for regional collaborative efforts to address Comprehensive Cancer Control.
Comprehensive Cancer Control (CCC) Plan
A cancer free FSM.
Work collaboratively with State Coalitions, health professionals, different areas of government and the community to improve cancer prevention and care for the citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia.
The FSM National CCC plan focuses on policy, standards, training and technical legislation, assistance within the context of cancer prevention, early detection, treatment, quality of life, and data quality. The individual FSM State CCC plans include state-specific strategies to address prevention, early detection, treatment, quality of life, disparities, and improving data quality.
- To promote political awareness and policy strengthening at the national level in support of state coalition awareness raising actions to protect the FSM population from know risks that cause cancer.
- To support identification and diagnosis of cancer in individuals as early as possible.
- Ensure access to appropriate cancer treatment for all FSM residents.
- To improve the quality of health information and health services related to the identification and treatment of cancer.
Comprehensive Cancer Control (CCC) Plan Download
- Download the 2013 - 2018 Comprehensive Cancer Control Plan
- Download the 2007 - 2012 Comprehensive Cancer Control Plan
- View the Regional Comprehensive Cancer Control Program (RCCCP).
- View the National Comprehensive Cancer Control Program (NCCCP).
Cancer Council of the Pacific Islands (CCPI) Members
Honorable Magdalena Walter
- Title: FSM National CCPI Director
- Department of Health and Social Affairs - Secretary
- Title: FSM National CCC Coordinator
- Tel: (691) 320-5263/2619 or (691) 320-2643
P.O. Box 187
Kolonia, Pohnpei FM 96941
Evel "Felix" Pelep
- Title: FSM National Cancer Registrar
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: (691) 320-2619
P.O. Box 932
Kolonia, Pohnpei FM 96941
- Title: Information and Health Planner
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title: FSM Health Statistician
- Email: email@example.com